Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Today's Medicine: Love and Loss

Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers,
but to be fearless in facing them.
Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain,
but for the heart to conquer it.
-Rabindranath Tagore

Today I met with some of my heart family to finally gift one another with Solstice presents. Michele, Kat, Angelia, vanessa and I met at the Saffron Grill and proceeded to fill up on delicious food, delightful presents and an abundance of laughter. It felt so good to be out together, enjoying a meal and each other's company with equal relish. For me, it was what Yule is all about. I am so incredibly blessed by the people who I love and love me in return, even when I have my crabby pants on. I basked in Love's glory today and it was good.

Upon my return home, I discovered Littlefoot had become even weaker. She's having difficulty walking across the floor and seems very confused. Yet when I hold her, all she does is lean against me and gently purr. She doesn't seem to be suffering, just very, very tired. I'll be sleeping on the love seat tonight, with a candle next to my Bastet statue. It would be such a blessing if she was able to journey quietly on her own yet I know that may not be her choice. The Loss comes from knowing that a bit of my heart will go with her when she's gone. She's been with Paul and I from almost the very beginning of our relationship- in some sense she's our first adopted child. Almost seventeen years ago, this little furry kitten wandered into our life and growled at us. She was so feral that she'd growl at us while she ate. We had no idea she would not only live this long but thrive and in the end become an incredibly loving companion. She has lived a good life and I take comfort in knowing that. It doesn't quite dull the ache, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment