Friday, December 19, 2008

Today's Medicine: Stillness

As I fed and watered my bunnies in their outdoor hutch today, I paused for a moment and savored the sound of stillness. For many moments there were no cars driving past, just the sound of birds twittering in the trees and the snow shifting on branches. In the distance I could hear a dull roar of Highway 2, but no other sounds of civilization intruded upon my reflections. It was exquisite. It also made me realize that my heart longs for that kind of stillness and that I would most likely be more in balance if I acquired it on a daily basis. I'm wondering if I can begin a routine where I get up earlier and sit outside with a cuppa something hot and drink in the silence around me. It being full Winter now, I'm not sure if my inner Bear will agree with that sort of shift but I may try it for a week or two and see how I feel.

I also reflected today on how this deep Winter weather gives us all an opportunity to live as our ancestors did, at least a little bit. They didn't go out unless completely necessary. They stayed indoors, telling stories, doing crafts, playing or listening to music. None of this rush and bustle, this crazy path we think we have to run until we lose ourselves. I did venture out for a short while today, to get some groceries and cat litter. By the end of that hour or so I was exhausted. The people drove as if they had the hounds of Hell on their heels. Many shoppers had a frantic energy that reflected their panic at the possibility of not getting shopping done before Christmas. Others had a blank look that obviously came from being over-extended and overwhelmed. It was with great relief that we pulled back into our cozy home and I took a short nap with the kitties to rejuvenate. I am so grateful not to be sucked into that desperate stream of humanity. Tomorrow I am on call for work, which is a step up because I thought I was working. If all goes well, I'll be staying home once more, reading, writing and getting more things sorted. It will be Solstice Eve and I will most likely be doing an all night vigil. I have an Honoring Silence candle from Zena Moon Candles that I'll be burning. It seems quite fitting...

No comments:

Post a Comment