Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Today's Medicine: Tenderness


This is my sly and shy boy, Kemu. He's one of our two Russian Blues. When he were a wee little tyke, he and his brother Koodori were feral. A friend trapped them, along with their mother and other brother. I told her I would re-home them, not realizing it was my home that I was speaking of. These boys had a rough start in life and even 8 years later they are skittish and shy. Since Kemu is a bully (and because I caught him spraying sometime last year), he gets to spend his time in my office. It's not so bad- it's a large bedroom and we have put a cat window attached to the outside of the house so he and his room mate Mogget (the other Russian Blue, who also is a bully and was caught spraying, funny that) can hang out behind an enormous rhododendron bush. They seem to enjoy one another's company and they get visits from the other kitties on occasion. Once our kitty saturation levels go down a bit, I will see about integrating them back into the rest of the house. We have a screen door on my office, which allows them so they don't feel completely isolated. They both like to climb up the door and yowl, just to see if I'll come visit. Brat cats. The Tenderness struck me today when Kemu was napping and he allowed me to put my arms around him and rub my face on his back. Mind you, this is the cat who wouldn't let anyone touch him a couple years ago. If you looked at him funny he would run away. The fact he allowed me to snuggle with him, that he purred his enjoyment so loud, just melts my heart. It helps me understand that Fear can be overcome. I don't expect he will ever be a love bug that constantly yearns for attention. But those moments when he rubs his face on my own are precious gifts that I will treasure throughout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment