Monday, December 22, 2008

Today's Medicine: Nourishment

It's another cold and snow-ridden day out there. I awoke at 5:45am to the sound of my phone beeping that I had a text message. It said, "Clinic closed today." I smiled a big sleepy smile and drifted back into sleep. A guilt free snow-day to spend however I wished!

As I've noted before, time has been a bit wonky in the past week. It was the same today and I realized that I'm spending much of my days like my retreats at Breitenbush Hot Springs, OR. During my retreats there, I tended to do whatever I felt called to do: read, sleep, soak, eat or write. I've got more things to add to the mix here, but those 5 things are a core of my unstructured time. I find I am less willing to relax into that flow when I'm at home, mostly because there is always a metric ton of stuff that needs doing. Of course, since I am focusing on simplifying things around here, I am hopeful to change that pattern of behaviour.

For me, nourishment is a many layered thing. At it's most basic level it is food that feeds my belly-belly and my mouth belly. (You know- the mouth belly is the one that keeps wanting to eat even when your belly belly is almost bursting.) It's also those people and things that bring me alive. It's soft, warm, and happily purring kitty fur against my skin. It's holding the eyes of someone who is opening their heart to me. It's the scent of sage, cedar and copal in my smudge shell. It's being held tenderly by the ones I love. And giving them hugs in return. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. Since I've been feeling delinquent in my diet these days, I made applesauce, potato/cheddar soup and a huge salad for dinner. I also made some interesting lemon frittatas that I may or may not make again. They are tasty but I can't really eat deep fried food anymore. I know they were enjoyed by the other people in the house and I can see them being a special treat a couple times a year. I also spent much of my day either napping or dozing. Gotta love going with the flow...

No comments:

Post a Comment