Saturday, December 20, 2008

Today's Medicine: Faith and Action Pants

*wry grin* That's what I get for thinking I'll get another day off. At 6:45 this morning I awoke to my boss saying, "I'm sorry" over the phone. Apparently the other Saturday person couldn't get out of her driveway. So I rolled out of bed, which was filled with many protesting kitties, and got myself ready. It didn't take long physically- I can get ready for work in under a half hour. And since the office didn't open until 9am, I had plenty of time. Mostly I was girding myself for what was certain to be an interesting commute. It turned out not nearly as bad as I'd thought it would be. It was icy, yes. It was slow going, yes. But I got there in less than half an hour and arrived with plenty of time to spare. The day went smoothly enough. We had no clinician so my other co-worker and I had to call and reschedule all the patients. A handful still showed up but no terrible problems to resolve. I left at 4 and was home by 4:45, well in advance of the storm that started brewing about 5:30 or so. Maybe I would have enjoyed another day at home rather than going to work. But it builds good employment karma to go in when others are unable and we got a lot of filing done. It also gives me some leeway if the roads are terrible in the coming week, which is something I'm really not going to worry about. It's not like I can do much about the weather anyway, other than to enjoy it as much as I can.

Faith has been coming into play in several different ways today. First, when I drove to work and home. I had to have Faith that I would be able to handle my car on compact snow and ice, something with which I have little experience. I feel like that challenge was successfully dealt with and I have gained some confidence. Last night Paul said he and his friend Eugene were going to go play in the snow with their ATVs. In the mountains outside of Sultan, which is about 20 miles east of here. Needless to say that I started getting a wee bit anxious. Of course they are always careful and a blast. No injuries occurred. They got home safe and sound and were playing games when I got home from work. Now Paul is taking Eugene to his place in Seattle and I'm fretting all over again. It's started snowing and the wind has been steadily growing. I have plenty of confidence in Paul's driving abilities- he is one of the most capable drivers I know. And yet I am concerned that some unexpected action will occur and he will get hurt. To remedy this I take a deep breath, remember that there isn't much I can do. I can hold gently to the thought that he is OK and pray that his guides and guardians are watching over him during his journey home. And trust in his capability to handle whatever comes up.

Faith is a funny thing. The best way for me to practice Faith is to weave it with positive action and thoughts into a shield (a cloak?) that helps me get through whatever challenge is in front of me. I don't rely completely on Faith- it's always backed up with Logic and Humor. Logic because I realize that Faith needs the backing of forward momentum to get something accomplished, which usually begins with the question, "How can I make this happen?" Humor helps me stay afloat when Faith is failing and helps me maintain perspective on a potentially anxious/panic-stricken situation. And as I write that, I hear Paul's voice say, "Hello?" as he comes through the garage door. Funny how things work like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment