Monday, December 15, 2008

Today's Medicine: Endurance

I got lots of play time with my observer self today. Between the icy roads and my paranoia of having to drive on them, my co-workers even greater paranoia and constant commentary on how fearful the ice was making them and a bad case of foggy brain, it was definitely a day to endure. I have to say it wasn't all bad. I had moments of wonder as well: the Olympics were gorgeous, the icicles hanging from just about everywhere were very pretty and I really enjoyed watching the birds eat their breakfasts. So it's never really all bad.

I'm going to explore how open-hearted I can be this week, especially during stressful circumstances. Answering the phone in a short tone of voice really isn't helpful to anyone. Remembering that I'm only responsible for me is probably the most useful tool I have right now. Probably the best way to do this is to give reign to my Hermit tendencies and allow myself whatever time I need to be still and listen. I think that will allow me to be fully present during the times I am with others. I think I will enjoy having Wednesday off, assuming the weather is as bad as they are predicting. Until then, I'm taking a deep breath and a strong cup of tea. That always seems to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment