Friday, December 12, 2008

Today's Medicine: Joy and Responsibility

You wouldn't think that these things could be compatible yet they are quite harmonious medicine when taken together. When I read the Winter storm warnings for the weekend, I knew I had to get some stuff done today. My outdoor bunny cages needed tending and the water faucets needed to be insulated. Fortunately both of these things were done in short order and I could tend to the other things that needed doing, mainly running out to mail the overseas parcels for my pen-pals. I also ordered some Yule gifts and sorted through the ones that needed wrapping. I managed to get some light re-reading of Phule's Company by Robert Aspirin in as well. I'd forgotten how much I love that series and the first book in particular.

Responsibility feels so heavy sometimes, prideful and righteous. It also feels just, satisfying and simply right. When it comes to responsibility, I have a tendency to overcompensate. I tend to take on things that would sort themselves out without my interference, thank you very much. That said, it's not always a bad thing to have an overactive responsibility gene. It means that I often get things done and especially when nobody else is willing to step up to do them. It also means that I'll make myself do the things I don't want to do, though sometimes my stubborn nature presents quite an obstacle. I can sometimes shift that heavy stubborn energy so that it works towards a positive outcome and it works in tandem with my sense of responsibility. But only sometimes. There are two ways I feel I am most irresponsible: one revolves around financial choices and the other centers around my health choices. In both cases I feel I have more room to maneuver than I really do and it often bites me in the behind. Those two things have been warps in the weaving of my life for many years now. Perhaps I'll begin to truly untangle those patterns this year...

Joy has been spontaneous and very much present this past week. I don't know if it's due to the holy-days approaching, which always give me a boost, or if I am simply allowing it to flow into the parts of myself that so desperately need it. Perhaps it's a bit of both. Or neither. Or all of the above including things I haven't even considered! All I know for sure is that it's linked to my heart center, which feels open and full at the same time. And that, I think, is exactly how it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment