Sunday, January 4, 2009

Today's Medicine: It's Not About Me

It's snowing again and I have to wonder what the morrow will bring. My hermit self wouldn't complain if I were snowed in again, though I realize the chance is slim and it would cause much crankiness in the lives around me. I love that the season is truly Winter right now. It's been a very long time coming.

Today was a battle between the my inner hermit and my social butterfly and the butterfly won. I attended a belated Winter Solstice celebration with the Pipe circle I belong to. It was a lovely way to mark the change of the seasons and I'm quite happy I went, even if I was a bit peopled out by the time I got home in the afternoon. By dusk I was more than ready to make dinner for a dear friend and my housemates and then claim the later evening for myself. I love it when a plan comes together like that.

I was told several times today that sometimes it's not All About Me. I started feeling a little left out because I didn't choose to take a gift home from the Solstice celebration, only to realize that I really was OK with that choice. I was moving slow this morning and not wanting to go out and about but realized staying home wasn't really in my best interest either. Going out gave me the opportunity to share time with others whose company I truly enjoy and maybe even provide some service as well. Sometimes I go out of my comfort zone and do things even when I don't feel up to doing them. This used to be a huge problem for me, because I had not learned how to have healthy boundaries and I'd just let people walk all over me. Now I feel most always comfortable saying NO if I need to, something I never thought I'd be able to do. That said, sometimes I need to extend myself a bit and remember that service to others is very satisfying work. Especially during the introverted Winter months when all I'd like to do is sit and dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment