Monday, January 18, 2010

Today's Medicine: Clearing the Deadwood

One of my favorite cards from Susan Mrosek, whose art I adore and can be found at http://ponderingpool.com/, is this one. It seems fitting to put it up here right now.

It's a balmy 53 degrees F out today, tho it felt more like lower 60's most of the day. I spent my morning having scones, hot chocolate and conversation with my friend Penelope and when she left about 12:30, I headed out to the gardens.

Two hours later I had a huge pile of holly branches and now anyone taller than me can walk the pathway to the front door without getting prickled. I cut back the other hydrangea bush that needed trimming and moved some plants around. I also cleared a bunch of dead leaves out of the flower bed so I could see what has survived my neglect and was pleased to see many of my primroses still thriving. On a side note, I didn't know that some primroses can live up to 25 years! That's an awesome thing though I can't understand why they are considered an "annual" if they live that long. *shrug* Ah, the mysteries of life. Gardening this time of year is such an exercise in cutting back on what is outgrown, overgrown or just plain dead in order for new life to spring forth. It's about inventorying and sorting out which plants get to stay and which really need to go. And to daydream about what new plants to bring into the space I share with the other living beings here. It's so rare that we get such a beautiful and warm day in January that I had to get out there and just do something. Add to it that today was an unexpected and unplanned day off and there is much to rejoice about.

In the past I have spent much of my time and energy trying to make sure I get everything done that needs doing. Today was a delightful experience in letting the day unwrap as it will and don't bother too much with the details. I know that I'm not ready to live every day of my life in such a fashion but it was good to remember just how delightful it can be on occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment