Saturday, February 2, 2013

Today's Medicine: Imbolc


Happy Imbolc!

Do you feel it? The greening is coming, Mama Earth is shifting toward wakefulness. Spring may be some weeks away, but today the flame within Her heart is beginning to burn brighter. That flame lives within us and in the natural world all around us. I see it in the primroses blooming merrily amongst dormant lilacs and muted ferns, in the bulbs pushing their leaves through the detritus of dead leaves. I feel it in my heart, which sings whenever the Sun breaks through the constant rain and fog. The potential of new beginnings is gathering all around us and I twitch with impatience. I want to the warmth of Spring to be here NOW! The medicine that comes for me right now is a mixture of patience and anticipation, of being able to sit quietly and listening during these final weeks of Winter introspection, as well as learning how to harness that vibrant potential so that I can enliven my life and dreams. Today I will be planting some bulbs for late Spring blooming, make container candles with a friend for the coming year, and honor bright Brigid with writing letters and in my journal.  And tonight I will light candles and let the flickering flames bathe me in their warmth and energy. 

May these final days of Winter be restful and may moments of silence wash over us so that we may meet Spring with joy and a lighter heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment