Thursday, April 2, 2009

Today's Medicine: Gratitude

Today I am thankful for:

-Words that speak to me and shift my perspective
-Conversations with people that do the same
-Finding joy in the simple things
-Knowing when I need to take a day for myself instead of allowing myself maneuvered into doing other things
-Learning how to be in right relationship with others
-The delicate scents and beauty of spring flowers
-Being able to screw up the courage to do the things I think I cannot do
-Movies and stories that make me smile

And some of the words that speak to me today are:

We are all broken little children searching for joy. - Orion Foxwood

Having a family is like having a bowling alley installed in your brain. - Martin Mull

Magic is not respectable, not acceptable, not fashionable. - RJ Stewart

And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself? - Rumi

The world is not respectable;
it is mortal, tormented, confused,
deluded forever;
but it is shot through with beauty,
with love,
with glints of courage and laughter;
and in these, the spirit blooms...
-George Santayana

Rise up nimbly
and go on your strange journey
to the ocean of meanings.
The stream knows it can't stay
on the mountain.
Leave and don't look away
from the sun as you go, in whose light
you're sometimes crescent,
sometimes full.
-Rumi

The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the heartbeat of the universe, to match your nature with nature. - Joseph Campbell

I live my life in growing orbits, which move out over the things of this world. Perhaps I can never achieve the last, but that will be my attempt. I am circling around God, around the ancient tower, and I have been circling for a thousand years. And I still do not know, if I am the Falcon, or a storm, or a great song. -Rainier Maria Rilke

No comments:

Post a Comment